Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Birthday Boy

This post is dedicated to the birth of my most favorite person on the planet...my husband.

I debated for a while on how I wanted to write this post (hence the reason it's coming 3 days after his actual birthday), but figured I'd just give you a run down of the weekend's events and throw in a little bit of lovey-dovey, mushy wife stuff for good measure :)

So...as most of you know, my husband, Drew, turned the big 2-9 on Sunday, March 10th. As a lot of you may also know, Drew has never been big on birthdays, making a fuss or really doing much of anything to celebrate the day of his birth. He says that growing up, the birthday kid in the family got to pick what was for dinner and they got their favorite cake made (courtesy of my mother-in-law's delectable family recipes!) For me, birthdays were always a huge deal (maybe because we had half as many kids as Drew's family did)...but I think each kid just grows up with a different ideas of what makes his/her birthday special. Anyway...I have learned in our 4 years together that Drew says he doesn't want me to make a fuss over his birthday...but would secretly be disappointed if I didn't...and that no matter how hard I try, he will always hate getting a greeting card (especially one with a novel written inside by yours truly!) All of that aside, I think Drew's birthday is one of my most favorite days of the year because it's the day he entered the world which is almost as important as the day he entered my world!

Moving right along...on Friday night, we relaxed and didn't do much of anything, which was a nice break from the stressful work week Drew had been having! Saturday, he woke up and had to do a little bit of work, but then we got to meet up for lunch and have a nice walk from downtown back to our apartment.

After relaxing for the afternoon and watching The Cutting Edge (blast from the past) on TV, we headed over to Parnell for a special treat...a couple's massage! Knowing that Drew gets slightly restless after a certain amount of time on the massage table, I went for the 30-minute massage which proved to be the perfect amount of relaxation...especially in a spa that doesn't have air conditioning on a 85-degree summer day.
(Gasp! I know...no A/C, but it's unfortunately very common here in New Zealand.)


We came home, showered, changed clothes then headed up to one of our favorite local restaurants called Sale St. It's a short walk from our apartment and is such a cool space! We went there once before at the beginning of summer and I thought it would be a great place to have a big group of friends get together for dinner and drinks. We ended up have 20 people join us for dinner and we sat at the biggest table I've ever seen! It felt like it was meant for royalty...all rise for King Drew ;)



Friends continued to gather to celebrate Drew and enjoy each other's company. We had to play musical chairs a few times throughout the night so we could talk to everyone, but it was an absolutely fabulous evening--topped off with a birthday ice cream sundae surrounded by tea lights since they didn't have any birthday candles...how resourceful! Drew swears it was the biggest birthday party he's ever had!






Sunday, his actual birthday, we had to get up super early to head to the airport to pick up the PwC intern who is here visiting for the week. We got her to her hotel first thing and came back and took naps ourselves. We then met her for lunch and some sightseeing before we let her go home and rest. That night, we indulged in some new variation on Drew's beloved meat cones for dinner and topped it off with a homemade funfetti cake--yum!



So now that you know how we celebrated, I just wanted to briefly write a few words about the love of my life...

Most of you reading that probably know Drew in some capacity at this point...maybe you've been a part of his life for 29 years or you've just met him in passing...but anyone who knows Drew knows that he's an incredibly wonderful man. I often think about how lucky I am that things worked out they way they did for us so that our paths could cross...and I think about how different my life would be had I not met him (it's pretty safe to say that I wouldn't be writing you this blog from New Zealand...that's for sure!) Anyway...Drew is one of the most driven, hard-working, dedicated, loyal, funniest, passionate, loving, quirkiest people I've ever had the pleasure to meet and I know, without a doubt, that I am a better person because of him. He loves me in a way that every person deserves to be loved as least once in his/her life and I am grateful for him every single day. I could never really express what he means to me, but I just hope that I can make him as happy and fulfilled as he has made me thus far.


Drew--I love you more than you'll ever know and I can't wait to see where this crazy journey takes us! Enjoy your last year in your 20s...it's gonna be great!

Cheers,

No comments:

Post a Comment