Sunday, December 16, 2012

GLOW 2012



As mentioned in my previous post, we went to GLOW last night which is an annual event hosted by our church, St. Paul's. It is technically a free event that the church and local sponsors put on every Christmas for the city of Auckland...the tickets do cost $5, but all of that money goes to a children's charity called Kids Can so it's a good cause all the way around!



Anyway--we went over to Will & Tally's apartment which is right near Vector Arena where they hold the event. Tally and I signed up to be face-painting volunteers so we went over around 4:30 and got to paint the faces of all of the happy kids coming to sing Christmas carols! We started out just offering hearts and stars as our painting skills are limited at best. As more and more kids started arriving, they started asking for more complex designs. I had kids ask me for everything from circles to whiskers to mustaches and even a ghost. It was lots of fun though!

We met up with Will & Drew and got to our seats which were down on the floor in row 12! Granted, this was just a local church production, but I can't remember the last time I had floor seats for anything :)



The whole concept of the event is to come together as a community and sing Christmas carols by glow stick light! They had great musicians and singers and, of course, everyone got a glow stick!


They had a Maori choir sing 'Silent Night' and they included the Maori version of the song which was really cool!


The children's group from St. Paul's put together the sweetest video that I thought I'd share with you because it made us all smile.


It was such a cool event and helped to get us into the Christmas spirit (even though it was still light and warm outside when the event was over!)

We're hoping we can suggest a similar event to our church when we get home in a few years!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment