Friday, July 12, 2013

Playing Catch-Up

Ok I know I start out every blog post saying that I need to do better about updating this blog more frequently, but sometimes I figured the ins and outs of our everyday life here isn't all that fascinating. I find a lot of times that when people ask me what I've been up to in any given week or ask Drew what he's got going on a work...we often look at each other with a quizzical look and say 'I know I've been doing stuff, but I honestly have no idea what.' Clearly we are managing to fill all of our days here, so I thought I'd try to recap some of the fun things we've done in the past few months...

MAY 16th: Drew called me on his way home from work and told me to bring the camera and meet him down at Wynyard Quarter because the sunset was too good to miss. He didn't lie, but judge for yourself...



MAY 17th: my best friend here, Tally, celebrated her 28th birthday with a shindig at their place--fully-equipped with a grab bag of costumes that all of the guests were required to wear. I also couldn't let her birthday pass without making her a funfetti cake...courtesy of the American Store!




















MAY 18th: our friend (and fellow accountant with a different firm), Melissa, was celebrating her last weekend in Auckland so a group of us went out for a mini-golf and lunch outing. Glow-in-the-dark putt putt: check!

MAY 19th: Drew & I took a day trip out to the Karekare Falls in the Waitakere ranges just west of Auckland.



On our way home, we stopped for sushi and a trip to the local pet store to play with their Shih Tzu puppies. We actually went as far as to talk to the employee about buying a puppy, but were derailed when she mentioned that you have to be a NZ resident in order to get approval to buy a dog through a licensed pet store...who knew?!

MAY 22nd: Drew used some leftover birthday money and decided to buy himself a new guitar and pick up guitar lessons again. Look out, Jimi Hendrix!


MAY 25th: we were planning to go to a Blues rugby game, but it got rained out so we rounded up everyone and went to Carpark instead to watch it on tv and eat cheap pizza. We got to hang out with some old friends and some new ones!





MAY 30th: we got to have some of our favorite Sal's pizza with some of our favorite couples here in Auckland. Although, Drew did not have the best reaction to the Bruffys' cats, so he had to stand outside and lean in through the window after dinner.




JUNE 1st: we headed up north...check out our blog post about that trip!

JUNE 8th: it was such a nice winter day out that we had to take advantage of it with a little American football.



JUNE 12th: our dear friends, Katie & Kevin, welcomed their first child...a little boy named Elliot. He is an absolute doll and we got to visit with him when he was just one day old!

 

JUNE 23rd: we discovered New Zealand Monopoly at the store and had to buy it. We spent all Sunday afternoon playing and we still weren't anywhere close to finishing. Has anyone EVER finished a whole game of Monopoly?!?

JUNE 24th: Our friends, Kacee & Jeremy (and their baby, Cecilia), were packing up to head on to their next adventure in Jamaica. We missed their going away murder mystery party because Drew & I were both super sick, but we got to catch up and say goodbye before they left :(


JULY 2nd: Will & Tally had an intern come visit them just like we did back in March so we got to enjoy a dinner out with the 3 of them at one of our favorite places, Masala.

JULY 4th: Again, Will & Tally (the always gracious hosts) had a group of PwC people over to their house to celebrate Independence Day. Tally made up a USA quiz that we all had to take...Drew & I didn't do very well...oops! It was nice of NZ to light up the Sky Tower in red, white & blue, though!




















JULY 5th: we got to go out to dinner at a really cool spot called Depot for our friend, Amy's, birthday. We snuck in the SkyCity casino on our way home because Amy had never been to one before. Considering we were in and out in less than 15 minutes, it was very entertaining!



JULY 6th: We starte the morning off right by going to get Drew a breakfast burrito. One of the few takeaway Mexican places here started doing breakfast, so we figured we'd give it a whirl. Then, we continued our 4th of July celebration with a picnic and some more American football. It ended up being a lot colder than we expected, but it was still fun!



So that's pretty much all of the highlights of the past 2 months. We've got a few other things going on in the next few weeks, so I really will try to do better about posting!

Cheers,


No comments:

Post a Comment