Friday, February 7, 2014

Five on Friday--2/7/14


THE GOOD LIFE BLOG
I apologize for the fact that I missed last week's Five on Friday. For some reason I couldn't come up with five things that we worth writing about. And I figured if I couldn't get excited about writing about things...then you definitely wouldn't be excited about reading them.

Anyway--I'm back again this week and have some fun stuff to talk about. Glad to be linking up with  DarciApril, Christina, and Natasha for the first '5 on Friday' post of February.


{o.n.e.} WE'RE GETTING A NEW FUR BABY!!!!
We got an email a few weeks ago from a breeder in NC (the same one that Raleigh and all the other Peters' Shih Tzus came from) that her dog was pregnant and would be expecting puppies in mid- to late-February. Then we got an email this Monday saying that the babes were already here! There were three girls and one boy...two of the girls and the boy were solid black/brown and one girl...our girl...is black and white! We have already placed her 'on hold' and then in early March my mom is going to meet them in person to make sure she has a cute personality. Then, 2 weeks after we move home, we'll be able to go pick up the little nugget. We're not sure exactly how Raleigh is going to react, but we're hoping that it'll be a good thing in the long run for her to have some puppy company. Eeeeeeeeeeeekkkkk!!! We can't wait!!

GRATITUDE CHECK: I don't think I need to explain why I'm so grateful for this, but aside from the obvious excitement about a new addition to the family, I'm also grateful when I get to see my husband so excited about something. And for those of you who know Drew and have seen him around his dog, you can imagine how excited he is thinking about getting a new one!

{t.w.o.} LUCKY #7...

Drew got his SEVENTH...yes 7th!...tattoo last weekend (sorry Becky & Charlie!) But I have to say that this one might be my favorite so far. He had done some research and found a shop downtown that was home to one of the top 3 artists in New Zealand (last year he was #1!) When we were in Whakarewarewa last November, Drew got a custom tattoo design drawn for him based on his life, family, and interests. However, when he took that in to this artist last weekend, the guy said 'are you ok if I keep the elements but make some changes.' Drew trusted him and told him to go for it. The guy busted out some Sharpies, and literally just free-handed this incredible piece of art on Drew's shoulder. Once Drew had a chance to inspect and approve the design, we walked across the street to have lunch and then the artist got to work. It took about 2.5 hours in total and Drew didn't seem to be in too much pain. It was a little bit bigger than either of us originally expected, but it really is beautiful and is a great souvenir to take back from New Zealand. 
  



GRATITUDE CHECK: Even though this tattoo had nothing to do with me directly, I was glad that Drew finally got something that he's been talking about for a long time.

{t.h.r.e.e.} VOLCANO HIKE...

Last Sunday we didn't have much going on, but we knew we wanted to start off the day by grabbing breakfast at the French Market...yum!

 On the way there we decided that since it was such a nice day we should just bite the bullet and hike Rangitoto...yes the volcano that we see out our window everyday. We hopped on the ferry and off we went. It's a 2.4km walk to the top and we did that in about 40 minutes. We were very glad to make it to the top, but I told Drew that everyone made me feel bad about myself because there were kids, old people, people in flip flops, people carrying coolers and babies and backpacks...and they were just blowing right on past us and acting like it was no big deal. Anyway--it was a great way to spend a Sunday and it was one more thing to check off our list before we move home.



       



GRATITUDE CHECK: Believe it or not, I actually found myself being thankful for the fact that I was sore after we did this hike. I was thankful for my husband's sense of adventure and his persistence that we go on this hike. I was thankful that both of us were healthy and able to hike up a volcano and that we are living in a place that offers us the chance to do something like that.

{f.o.u.r.} FRAMILY TIME...

As you've heard me say before, our friends here have become our New Zealand family and we've been soaking up as much time with them as possible lately. Last Saturday, we went to Kristen & JC's place to hang out by the pool for a bit. We ended up staying until 7:30--it's hard to keep track of time when it stays light until 9pm!

        
On Monday, I got some quality time with Tally and Big E during the day and then a group met up at the Bruffys' house to watch the Super Bowl. As most people would agree, we found the game itself very boring, but the company and all the food was wonderful!

                    
Thursday of this week was Waitangi Day so everyone had the day off. We had grand plans of having everyone over for a rooftop bbq, but the weather did not want to cooperate. We still had about 10 friends over, but we just stayed inside. Again, we had way too much food, but it was all delicious! We played lots of games, but Cards Against Humanity seemed to be the favorite again.

            
           (This was the national holiday we celebrated on Thursday)

GRATITUDE CHECK: I know you're probably tired of hearing me say how great our friends our here and how much we're going to miss them, but it's so true! With less than two months left here, we are realizing every day just how precious our time is with our friends.

{f.i.v.e.} SHOPPING SPREE...
Earlier this week, I didn't have a lot going on and needed to kill some time before I picked Drew up from work, so I decided to head out to the mall. I honestly haven't been to the mall in a while other than to go to the movies. I was on the hunt for a few new tank tops to get me through the summer (which I actually did find), but I ended up with so much more! These are a few things I scored that I've already become obsessed with...


Until next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment