Saturday, August 25, 2012

Ka mate, Ka mate, Ka ora', Ka ora'!

'I die, I die, I live, I live' --this is the opening line from the haka which is the traditional Maori war dance.




So last night we got to experience our first rugby match ever...and let me tell ya, watching the All Blacks is a great way to start! These guys are so incredibly strong and skilled that it was just fun to watch even without knowing any of the rules! Drew tried to read about some of the rules online before we went, so of course I had to ask him a million questions throughout the game..which I'm sure he loved!

Before the game, we met up with some of our new friends for a drink at Melissa's apartment before heading to a place called Hard Luck Cafe. Drew and I then walked back to downtown to catch the free bus to Eden Park.
Kate, Katie & Melissa

Leah, Drew, Katie, Jeremy & Kacee
We took a short bus ride out to Eden Park and then walked through the end of the Fan Trail (a 4km walk that anyone can take from downtown out to the stadium with food, drinks and entertainment along the way.) We got into the stadium and had a look around before heading to our seats.

Eden Park Stadium--probably about the size of UNC's football stadium.


The AB's won 22-0 over the Wallabies and took home the 2012 Bledisoe Cup. We haven't learned the national anthem or any of the crowd cheers yet, but we did get to participate in the wave!

I have to say...between the bus there, going through security, getting some food, and the train ride home....it was, without a doubt, the easiest most hassle-free sporting event experience we've ever been to. Everything was so well organized and well-managed...well done, kiwis!

We will definitely have to save some room in the budget for tickets to more rugby matches--so much fun!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment